The Primal Pantry are proud to be supporting an international community taking on 5k a day this December for the December Daily Dash.
That’s 5k a day, every day in December (yes, even Christmas Day!) Whether you run, walk or jog, this challenge is for you!
The December Daily Dash was started by Jackie, Mark and friends in 2015, after Jackie’s Dad received amazing care from the Sue Ryder charity in the last few months of his life. The challenge has grown from 13 participants in the first year to over 400 in 2018! The community has raised over £50,000 for Sue Ryder to date.
The great thing about this challenge is that anyone can sign-up! All the way throughout the challenge Dashers will be supported and inspired by an active virtual community, posting pictures and inventing new ways to motivate themselves through 31 days of activity at one of the busiest times of the year.
This year the neon colour theme is bright yellow, and the team are hopeful that more people than ever before will join in and take on the challenge.
“Our runners tell us that they keep coming back for all kinds of reasons – a connection to Sue Ryder, to be part of a vibrant online community, improving their wellbeing or just staying healthy over the festive period – and over 90% would dash again and recommend to others!”
Fundraising is optional, but if you do fundraise, the December Daily Dash team kindly ask that you do so for Sue Ryder. There is a new hub set up on JustGiving so it is super easy to set up a fundraising page and get great tips on fundraising, training and nutrition to start you on your Dashing journey!
HOW TO GET STARTED:
- Register for the event here.
- Set up a fundraising page here.
- Buy your official Daily Dash merch here.
- Get some knowledge on training here.
- Ready, set, dash!
TOP TIPS FROM PRIMAL SUZIE:
Founder of The Primal Pantry, Suzie, (who hasn’t done much running since secondary school) is also taking on the December Daily Dash this year!
As a qualified nutritionist, here are some of Suzie’s top training tips:
- Before heading out on a 5k make sure you have a small 200-300 calorie meal at least 1 hour beforehand. Aim for a meal that is predominantly carbs, try and keep the fat content down as the body will struggle to digest during your run. Bananas are a perfect choice or a good quality energy bar.
- Some people may find that they run better first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, if you can handle this then that is perfectly fine.
- Have a protein based meal within 30 mins of finishing to refuel your muscles. Make sure it is a complete protein, either animal protein or a protein shakes or bar.
- Make sure you are properly hydrated – aim to drink approx 500ml of water 1 hour before your run. (Any more and it is likely you will need to make a pit stop!)
- Experiment and find what suits you and your body – at the end of the day we are all different!
- Enjoy the challenge and the time out of your day!
A SIDE NOTE FROM SUZIE:
“Right, I will start by saying that I don’t actually like running! BUT as the December Daily Dash is for a great charity and Primal are the main sponsor, I didn’t really have much choice this year! 🙂
So… while you are all tucking in to your turkey leftovers or hungover on Boxing day, I will be really pushing myself to get out and do a 5k, whatever the weather December has in store!
Seeing as I only started ‘running’ in July, and considering I haven’t really been out since October this is one hell of a mission!
If you have a spare buck and would like to sponsor me – here is the link: https://www.justgiving.com/Suzie-Walker1?
Thank you x”